It is very important to me to focus on issues that pertain to and affect people in House District 40 and Senate District 28.
When formulating a platform and an issue based agenda, I believe that it is important to realize that we are all more alike than we are different. In addition, there are fundamental issues that many of us can agree upon without letting negativity, divisiveness, and partisan disputes get in the way of improving the lives of the people in House District 40, Senate District 28, and Colorado as a whole.
My agenda for the 2021 legislative session includes but is not limited to the following:
- A Focus on Education: Education is my passion because I am a former educator myself and I know that education is the key to success. I want to make sure schools get the appropriate funding so class sizes do not increase. In addition, I want to make sure that we do not decrease the amount of essential personnel for schools as to ensure that our educational institutions can function effectively. Finally, cutting down on unnecessary testing will allow teachers to focus more on the curriculum and spend more time educating our students.
- Teacher Pay & Benefits: Our educators play an integral role in giving our children the best chances for bright futures. Teachers and school personnel deserve resources, wages, and benefits that will allow them to thrive and continue providing our children with the best education possible. I will continue to advocate on behalf of our educators and school personnel to ensure that they get the compensation that they deserve.
- Parental Involvement: Our school systems encourage parents to be involved in their children’s education and parents should be allowed to leave work for their kids’ academic activities without fear of losing their jobs. Teachers/faculty want parents to be involved as it helps both students and staff to have involved parents as a partnership in the educational process. It is common sense that businesses should partner with parents, as many businesses will improve morale in the workplace for working parents who have children in school. In addition, this is one of the strongest ways to encourage parental engagement and involvement for parents who have busy work schedules.
- Equal Pay: This is common sense for me. I believe that equal pay for equal work is essential. It is way past time that women and other groups that have been discriminated against be compensated equally relative to others who are working the same jobs/roles. This is an essential part of the equation for lifting up wages for all working families so that anyone who puts in honest work will be be fairly compensated in their pay. This policy enriches all Coloradans.
- Wages & Jobs: I am firmly in support for raising the minimum wage. It is clear that when we put money in the pockets of hard working individuals that we stimulate the economy. This results in more economic activity for businesses and more opportunity for working families. It is crucial that anyone who is putting in an honest day’s work is rewarded at the very minimum with a living-wage compensation. I will work to make sure that good-paying jobs stay in Aurora. In addition, I will make sure that we invest in companies who will never outsource their workforce or pay their workers dismally low wages. A livable income is key to sustaining economic activity and making daily life manageable for individuals and families who are responsible for so many expenses.
- Women’s Health: I know just how important women’s health issues are for all families. Many of us have women in their lives who have been affected by cancers or other ailments that are unique to or prevalent in females. As a woman, I understand how central our roles are in maintaining a strong and healthy family unit. Women have unique health concerns in certain types of cancers and medical conditions. I want to make sure women concentrate on preventative health measures to ensure that families are not devastated and torn apart by serious medical conditions or diseases. As a member of the Health, Insurance, and Environment Committee, I will make sure that families and women have all of the tools that they need to get testing and medical assistance in order to prevent damaging and family-breaking illnesses. Finally, I will always protect a woman’s right to choose and their access to contraception. I was chosen as a Champion of Choice because I believe in a woman’s right to make decisions for her own body.
- Environment: Colorado is home to so many unique natural wonders and environmental features. It is a huge priority of mine to protect our open spaces and parks in order to make sure that we always have safe trails, camp sites, and recreational places for our residents and tourists alike. It is also important that we have community involvement and input on our resource extraction industries. No industry should be able to impose dangerous or harmful practices on our communities or environment. I will work to make sure that we do not damage our pristine habitats and wildlife sanctuaries in the process of resource extraction. A focus on clean and renewable energy is a great way for Colorado to ensure that we are on the forefront of a viable, booming, and profitable new era of energy production and usage. In my role as a member of the Health, Insurance, and Environment Committee, I will work hard to represent the interest of my constituents in HD 40 by creating transparency and input when it comes to fracking, energy production, and resource extraction.
- Veterans Issues: Many of my friends, family members, and acquaintances have dedicated their lives to serving in the military. I have an incredible amount of respect for anyone who is currently serving, served in the past, or are planning on serving in the military in the future. It is so important that our veterans get the services and assistance that they need and deserve. I will personally work for all veterans to ensure that they are getting the medical and mental health assistance that they need. This means holding our veterans offices and facilities accountable for their actions while also promoting efficient and effective care for all of our respected veterans who have so honorably served our country.
If you have any questions on where I stand on any issues, please feel free to contact me via phone or email.